Saturday, October 26, 2013

Peanut Butter and Jelly

Sorry I haven't written sooner---I've been putting the finishing touches on my next book and my brain is mush.  :-)

I've talked to my oldest birth brother a few times since I last wrote, and am still trying to assimilate all the information I've gotten.  We get along like wildfire--or like peanut butter and jelly.  LOL

Here's something interesting; he's a special education teacher.  He lives over an hour away from where he works, so he puts on his headphones and calls me on his way home so we can chat while he drives.

I found out that our father had sudden heart failure at the age of 48 (I was 41 when I had it).  Also, two years later, after he had lost a bunch of weight, he started aching in his back and legs and feeling like crap.  Just like me.  And just like me, those were the only symptoms of diabetes he had when he was diagnosed. 

Hmmmm.  Who said biology doesn't matter?  Oh yeah---that was the adoption industry about 40 years ago!

Apparently, the brothers have a quirky sense of humor very similar to mine.  They find my existence to be quite amusing, because our father was a bit of a hardass ("who knew the old man had it in him!" was the comment the younger brother made when he found out I was the product of a wild college weekend).

I'm freaking out a little bit over the fact that my youngest birth brother is only a year older than Big Kid.  Gah!  That and he's actually 6'7.

I'm also the stupid sister of the family (just kidding).  Between the three of them, there are 6 Master's Degrees and a PHD.  Very accomplished group!

We haven't made plans to get together yet, since we live across the country from each other.  We're just enjoying getting to know each other. 

And I'm truly, truly enjoying it.

Thanks so much for your support, guys!

xoxo

10 comments:

Marty said...

What a nice result to your searching - soul and otherwise!

Jeanie said...

The whole story is so interesting and amazing. I will be eager to hear the new things you find out about all of them and I hope you get to meet them face to face in the future.

Kim Ayres said...

Truly delighted and happy for you :)

Anonymous said...

Aw, that is too cool how you've connected with him.

Joe said...

Very happy for you!

Queen-Size funny bone said...

Never too late to find new family

Warner said...

Good for you

Have been having my own medical problems, including a several day cancer scare, but the quacks think they have a handle on it.

Brenda said...

You've been having a great adventure I see. I love it when good things happen to fine folks like you. But not the illnesses. Please take care of yourself!!

Unknown said...

Nice blog post "Peanut Butter and Jelly...". Thanks - Weight Loss counselling Adelaide, Relationship counselling, Teenagers counselling Adelaide

Anonymous said...

My brother in law had his 3 kids involuntarily adopted, he married a woman who hurt her own kids never fed them while he slaved away working like hell making no money and many ptsd problems from Vietnam, the state he lived in moved in and took all three for one family who flew up many many miles and adopted all 3 of them 2 boys and one baby girl, he has never heard from them, it is the ache of his entire life he gets lots of therapy for the ptsd but did not get any for his aching heart for the adoption of his 3 kids, no one in the family was allowed to adopt them at all, it was a tragic thing to happen to a fragile man..He never has gotten over it at all, he so wants to reach out to them but is very afraid of rejection, we always tell him we are with him and his kids might want to meet him but to let them push the first move, it has never happened they are now 39 years old and 37 years old and the baby girl 35 not one of them has ever tried to find their biological mom and biological dad, sometimes it is better to leave the past in the past. We are happy you got to know who your Dad was and your brothers you will meet, but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way, mental illness runs in my husbands family and other related medical conditions, too bad they cannot meet their dad and know of the many people who loved them but were not able to adopt them. Their own biological family, but I think someday my brother in law will meet them all, I pray daily for this miracle..